Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Scuppernongs and Spider Lilies


Can you feel a hint of fall in the air? A couple of weeks ago, I thought it could, but now it's back to 90 degrees every day! Nevertheless, I can tell that fall is on the way. I know because the scuppernongs are ripe and the spider lilies are blooming. It's past summer, yet too early for "real" fall weather, but I still love this time of year. We're back in school, settled into a routine, and I'm enjoying these September traditions.
When I was a little girl, my great aunt and uncle (I talked about him here) had a huge scuppernong vine, and I loved to go down there and pick and eat scuppernongs. Now I don't really call them scup-per-nongs. We've always referred to them as SCUP-uh-nuns. Some people call them SCUP-lins too. There's no telling how many of those things I've even in my lifetime!
I also love to see the spider lilies blooming. Some people just think they're weeds, because you usually see them growing wild. But they are actually bulbs that you plant. I even found a place to order them. I remember having them in our yard when I was a kid, and cutting them to take to my teachers at school.
It's also peanut picking time. Pretty soon we'll be smelling freshly plowed up peanuts all around. I love that smell. I can't really describe it; it's something you just have to experience for yourself. My daddy was a farmer, so I grew up with that smell, and also with the sound of the dryers running all night long drying loads of peanuts before they were carried to the buying point. Oh, and boiled peanuts....I love boiled peanuts, but I actually prefer regular field peanuts to the big "boiling" peanuts. I guess it's because that's the ones I grew up eating.
I guess I love all these things because they remind me that fall really is on its way, and it gives me something to look forward to! I just can't put out pumpkins in early September, so at least I've got these things to enjoy!
*****************
In other news, I'm busy collecting money and making plans for a steak dinner on Friday night. A BIG steak dinner! My FBLA chapter, along with the FFA chapter, does two steak dinner fundraisers each year--September and March. Y'all, this time we have sold 320 plates! So, all week I've been collecting money and making plans for that. My sweet husband grills all those steaks for us, and the other teacher and the students and I handle the potatoes, rolls, salads, and desserts. They are de-lish! It's a great fundraiser, but I will be worn out by the end of the night!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Wish I lived there so I could eat some steak Friday night! And I LOVE some boiled peanuts---the small ones. A lot of people in Birmingham have only had the big fat ones from a crock pot in a gas station. Yuck!

And I don't know what the problem is with your paragraphs. I haven't blogged lately, so I don't know if it's doing that with mine or not. Goodl uck figuring that out!

trimadsco said...

I used to love to eat scupp-a-nuns, as we called them, lol! Haven't had any in a long time. I remember when I was little thinking they looked like snot on the inside, hee hee. I love boiled peanuts too, but not picky on the size myself.

For me, fall = football! Even though it's still blazing hot here too, the football games tell me cooler weather is almost here! I can't wait, you know me, I don't deal well with the heat, lol.

Tonja said...

Love Scup a nuns. Such on odd and unusual tast, isn't it? Kind of hard to explain. And, the spider lillies...my granny gave me some bulbs one time and they never produced. I am going to check out your link, because I would love to plant some in my yard.

And, yes, I know about the p-nuts...it is why my allergies are going wild!!!

Don't know about the paragraphs...i'm very dumb about the computer.

kristen said...

I LOVE scup-a-nuns!!!