Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

My wonderful husband had a milestone birthday a few weeks ago....the big 4-0.

I have been wanting to do something special for him to celebrate this milestone, but also to make up for a horrendous birthday two years ago. It was that year that we had lost one of our dear friends unexpectedly on Monday of that week, he was unexpectedly laid off from his job on Friday, developed a kidney stone Friday night, and then that Sunday was his birthday and Father's Day. Talk about a crummy week! Last year, I wanted to do something really special for him, but I just couldn't get this together, so I decided that this year, the big 4-0 was definitely the year for something extra special! I arranged for him to do the Richard Petty Driving Experience at the Walt Disney World Speedway. It worked out perfectly since we were going to be in Orlando anyway for FBLA national conference. Now we are not really Nascar fans, but what man wouldn't want to drive a race car!

I was a bit nervous at first, thinking of all those people out on the track at the same time. I wasn't worried about Tracy's driving, I was worried about everyone else's! I felt much better after we got in "class" and found out that it was not a "racing experience" it was a "driving experience". Each student had their own instructor that they would follow around the track, and there were three "sets" of drivers on the track at each time. There were lights in the back of the car telling you whether to speed up or slow down....surprisingly, they said the "speed up" lights were the ones that were used the majority of the time! They started them out slow, around 110 mph, and if you kept up and were driving well, with each lap they increased the speed, with the hope of getting up to 122-123 mph. I am pleased to say that Tracy did really well, increasing his speed each lap and ending up with 121.something mph!

He said it was a blast and is already wanting to do it again! Note in the photos that these are REAL race cars, and the only way in and out is through the window! That, too, was a point of concern for me!! Ha!


IMG_0814

IMG_0817

IMG_0821

IMG_0831

IMG_0843

IMG_0853

IMG_0864

IMG_0867

IMG_0878

IMG_0892

2 comments:

Lauren said...

FUN!!!! I think this bday definitely topped his from a couple years ago. We did the same thing a few years ago for my dad for his 50th. I was concerned about the window entry as well! Men aren't that flexible. We are not racing fans at all either, but we went to 'Dega and he had a blast. What is it with men and speed? I would pay them to not make me get in there!

trimadsco said...

I'm glad he had FUN!!