I've written in the past about my love for music and about our family's musical traditions. If you're a newer reader, you can read about it here and here. At that time I tried posting some videos with no luck, but now that I've started using YouTube, I decided to share again.
He'll Roll You Over the Tide: This is from our family reunion this past summer. An oldie, but goodie. Aunt Lucy, Uncle Amos (who passed away a couple of years ago), Pam, and Eddie have been singing this as long as I can remember. , In fact, somewhere there's an audio recording of them singing it when I was about four, and you can hear me as loud (or louder) than them! It was this song that I clung to a couple of summers ago, when Tracy was laid off from his job.
This is one I haven't shared before. You may remember me posting about losing a cousin unexpectedly, just three days after our family gathered for my Uncle Runt's funeral. During that weekend (of Uncle Runt's funeral) my Uncle Mikey and Aunt Frances, cousin Garland, Aunt Nadine, cousin Tricia and her family, AND my Matthew all stayed at my mom's house. Talk about a full house! Anyway, that Sunday morning before the funeral, Uncle Mikey and Garland practiced one of the songs to be sung that afternoon, and Tricia happened to capture it on video. Obviously, they weren't planning on being videoed....Uncle Mikey is in his undershirt, Aunt Nadine in her housecoat, kids are running in, the sun is shining in so bright you can't see the faces well, the ironing board is still set up, etc. However, given the circumstances, I want to share it...the last recording I have of my cousin Garland and his AWESOME mandolin picking. He had so much talent....Thanks for indulging me as I share my family's music, and I hope that in some way, it's a blessing to you.
2 comments:
i absolutely LOVE these videos. LOVE!!! What precious family memories. Makes me teary just thinking about that.
:-) funny thing is - Mama had her dress clothes on under the robe! But she didn't want to get them "dirty" before we left! LOL It WAS a wild morning! How I regret not getting the camera out for the other 2 songs they practiced! And when Garland was playing the piano with the girls, making up a song about how big Madi's feet were and her mama's shoes didn't fit...memories! :-)
Post a Comment