Sunday, August 22, 2010

Water Day

Yesterday we had an End-Of-Summer/Back-to-School Luau at church...aka "Water Day". We rented a couple of inflatable water slides and let the kids play for while, then had a hot dog lunch. It was sooooo much fun! I am so glad that Matthew enjoys things like this. I say that because when I was his age, I probably would have been too scared to climb to the top of that big ole slide.

I remember the first time we did this, about three years ago, when Matthew was five. He started out on the smaller slide, but then one of the older kids convinced him to get on the big slide. That year, as long as one of the big kids would go down with him, he would play on the big slide and absolutely loved it! Obviously now, he's not afraid at all!

Luke didn't know too much about it though. He wanted to play in the water on the smaller slide, but wouldn't let me put him in. He was pretty content to just play around outside and watch everybody else though. He loved it when I would go down the slide! Another lady would hold him up so he could watch, and he'd just giggle! And honestly, I can't believe that at 35 years old, I went down that thing, but it was SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

However, the fun ended abruptly for us after lunch when Matthew's nose collided with another boy's knee. It started pouring blood and swelling. We were afraid that it might be broken so we headed off to the urgent care clinic for x-rays. Thankfully, it wasn't. The doctor said he'd probably have black eyes today, but he doesn't. He is just swollen and sore and feels generally kind of rotten. Ironically, the boy he collided with is the same one who was so sweet and took him down the big slide three years ago!

The accident also loosened up a couple of teeth, but that's actually a good thing. Because he hasn't lost any baby teeth, and the permanent teeth are in there ready to come in, he has to have EIGHT teeth pulled in two weeks! Four on top, four on bottom. He had one that was already loose, and this just helped things along, as well as loosened up one that wasn't loose. I'm hoping he can manage to pull those himself. I really want him to have the experience of pulling a tooth himself, rather than just having the oral surgeon do it! (Not to mention it will be cheaper on us, since they charge by the tooth!)

Here are some photos of all the fun....


IMG_4208

Luke trying to climb in!


IMG_4201




IMG_4194




IMG_4193

Luke finally decided to just play basketball!


IMG_4205

Not sure what he was doing here!

IMG_4170





IMG_4177

Water Day ROCKS!

1 comment:

trimadsco said...

I'm glad you got to have some fun before the drama! Poor Matthew! Praying that it doesn't bruise or him have a black eye! And how cool that you went down the slide too!!