Friday, April 2, 2010

The Reveal

Earlier in the week, I had posted a "before" picture of the horrendous space that I had been using as an "office". Disclaimer: It wasn't always this junky, just sometimes! Okay, a lot of the time. It did look a bit worse than usual, as I had been piling stuff on it, cleaning out, organizing, getting ready for this....










I am making part of my closet into an office. That probably sounds odd, but I have a huge closet (9 feet x 9 feet) and haven't really been utilizing all of the space. In fact, part of it was just being used as a place to stack stuff. So I decided why not do something useful with the space. I have been waiting about 9 months or so for my cabinet man to have a chance to build this desk for me. I wanted to have something that had a "built-in" look, instead of just buying a desk to put there. Also, this way I got the exact storage I wanted--a pull-out printer shelf, a file drawer, notches cut out to access my wall plugs, etc.

We didn't have a "real" office. We built our house before having children, and of course, didn't realize the need for a separate playroom/office area. So, we had our computer and files in an armoire in Luke's room. That worked okay...until Luke came along, and then we could no longer just go in there and work at anytime we wanted. Then we both got laptops, and it just kind of progressed that we really needed to move our "stuff" to a place that would be more accessible. We still have the armoire, but are going to work on getting everything out of it over the next few months and probably sell it. That will give Luke a lot more floor space in his room, which will be more important as he gets older and spends more time there.

I've still got lots to do, like taking the screws from the shelf out of the wall, patching the holes, painting over them, getting desk accessories, but I can work on that over the next several weeks...or months! At least it's in, and my goal now is to STAY ORGANIZED!


Even though it's just in my closet, I'd like this to be a nice "me" space. I know I need a new lamp; that's just one I had that I stuck there for the time being. If you have any decorating ideas, please feel free to comment!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow! It looks great! We have a laundry room that is a little over 9x9 but it's full of junk. Well, a washer, dryer, and upright deep freezer taker up a lot of the room. After seeing this, I need to get to work! I love to make part of it my sewing area but who knows if I'll ever get around to it. Congrats to you for doing something about it!!

Tonja said...

Melissa, it looks great! I know you cn hardly wait to get everything in its place and begin using it! I would put a huge bulletin board...as long as the desk...over the desk. That would keep lots of the clutter off the top of the desk, and you could put the important things right in front of your eyes. I say that because unless something hits me in the face, I don't even see it! Enjoy your new space...and Happy Easter!

kristen said...

WOW! I will not show this to my husband because he would lock in me the laundry room and not let me out till it looked like this! I know you feel a great sense of accomplisment. Love the desk!

trimadsco said...

Ohhh, love the idea of a big bulletin board! I need one myself! LOVE IT!