Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Nothin' But Net

I am about to say words that I never really thought I'd say: I am a basketball mom.

A little background....I am as un-athletic as they come, as in, always the last one standing when they were choosing teams in PE. It was a major deal to me if I was not the last one chosen! Oh sure, I played basketball and other stuff on the playground, but for "real"--nah. Tracy played a little baseball when he was in elementary school, but that's it. We are just not athletically inclined! Tracy preferred activities like showing calves and FFA. My thing was piano, FHA (then Future Homemakers of America, now FCCLA--Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America), FBLA--Future Business Leaders of America, and pageants.

Fast forward to the present. We have never tried to steer Matthew into sports (or any other activity for that matter). We've just sort of let him see what he's interested in. Well, this year, it's basketball. Who would've thought it? Our school has a little elementary basketball program that runs for six weeks every January, and Matthew is playing. He actually wanted to play last year, but for a couple of different reasons, he didn't. This year, however, as soon as the paperwork was sent home, he begged me, "Mama, can I PLEASE play basketball?" So of course, we let him. It's really not so bad. They practice during their PE time a couple of days a week, and then have a game on Saturday morning. Hats off to our coaches (it's our high school boys' basketball coach who coordinates it; yet another benefit of a K-12 school) for doing a great job of working out the time schedule. This past Saturday, they were right on the money with the schedule. They play 4 six-minute quarters; the whole game, including time-outs, halftime, etc. lasts about 40 minutes.

He had so much fun last Saturday. His team is made up of 1st through 3rd graders. It's a hoot to watch them play! For the first half, if Matthew wasn't running, he had his hands in his pockets. We tried to tell him that he couldn't get the ball with his hands in his pockets! Here are a few pictures. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get very good pictures in our gym.


IMG_2049

Discussing stragegy, maybe?






IMG_2088

Bringing in the ball.


IMG_2103

Finally got those hands out of the pockets and up in the air!

In the end, we lost by a score of.....are you ready for this.....8-2. Not many points were made, but they all had a whole lot of fun!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey there! I'm so glad you found my blog! I enjoy blogging and making friends all over the country! I look forward to getting to know you more too! Have a wonderful "rest of the week!"

trimadsco said...

Awww! He looks so cute! (even w/ the hands in the pockets, lol!) You never know, this may be his "thing"! Or it could be a passing phase! Either way - enjoy it! He's broadening his horizons!

kristen said...

He is sooooo cute!!! I would be a basketball mom too!